Can you recall what happened in our own Jewish community this past year? Take this quiz and jog your memory!
1. The University of Washington’s Stroum Center for Jewish Studies began a major effort this year to study which language?
2. Which two Congressional representatives from Washington State visited Israel this year?
a. Cathy McMorris Rodgers, Andy Billig
b. Adam Smith, Rick Larsen
c. Jim McDermott, Dave Reichert
d. Derek Kilmer, Dave Reichert
3. Which local sports team had its best regular-season record ever?
a. The Seattle Seahawks
b. The Seattle Mariners (sorry, maybe we should have tried to make this question more difficult)
c. Northwest Yeshiva High School girls’ volleyball
d. Seattle Hebrew Academy girls’ basketball
e. Seattle Hebrew Academy boys’ basketball
4. This appeared where?
a. As a banner ad on the JTNews website
b. As a banner ad on the Seattle Times website
c. On the side of a Metro bus
d. As a flag flying from the top of the Space Needle
5. Which Jewish virtuoso performed at Benaroya Hall?
a. Hilary Hahn
b. Itzhak Perlman
c. Daniel Barenboim
d. Isaac Stern
6. Which Jewish state legislator took a job within state government, retiring his or her position, and who became the newest Jewish representative to replace that legislator?
a. Marcie Maxwell, Tana Senn
b. Eric Cantor, Marcie Maxwell
c. Ed Murray, David Frockt
d. Roger Goodman, Andy Billig
7. The Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle hired a new CEO in 2013. His name is:
a. Art Garfunkel
b. Jerry Silverman
c. Keith Dvorchik
d. Keith Krivitsky
8. The new Federation CEO as well as the new CEO of Seattle’s Jewish Family Service served as directors of which organization in their community before they took on their current roles?
b. Jewish Community Center
c. American Jewish Committee
d. Knights of Columbus
9. Which two holidays converged this year in an event that won’t happen again for close to 80,000 years?
a. Sukkot and Columbus Day
b. Rosh Hashanah and the first day of school
c. Thanksgiving and Hanukkah
d. Passover and Purim
10. How many day schools hired new heads of school or interim heads of school for the fall?
11. Which local rabbi released a CD this year?
a. Daniel Weiner
b. Moshe Kletenik
c. Olivier BenHaim
d. Jessica Marshall
12. JTNews interviewed which former secretary of state?
a. Madeleine Albright
b. Hilary Rodham Clinton
c. Dean Rusk
d. Condoleezza Rice
13. The Jewish Day School convened a panel of six rabbis this fall to do what?
a. Have an Iron Chef showdown, using chicken fat as the required ingredient.
b. Lead morning services each day.
c. Provide rabbinic advice for the entire JDS community.
d. Teach Hebrew classes.
14. Which youth group had an event that shuttled the teens around the region in limousines?
e. All of the above
15. “In the Land of Rain and Salmon” is what?
a. A fishing gear catalog
b. A documentary about Chief Sealth and his merry band of Irishmen
c. A theatrical reading of Washington State’s Jewish history
d. A book about Washington State’s Jewish history
The answers can be found here.